Practices suspended due to the current COVID-19 situation
March 13, 2020
To all LSC Swimmers, Families and Coaches,
This letter is to announce that we will be suspending all practices for London Synchro Club for the next 3 weeks due to the current situation with COVID-19. This is effective immediately, lasting until Wednesday April 1st, 2020. At that time we will send further communication based on up to date information. This includes all Rec, Novice and Competitive teams, as well as University and Masters swimmers. This also includes Dryland training at BoFit for the older swimmers.
This has been a difficult decision for the Board and Head Coaches – we know how hard the swimmers have been working and that this will be disappointing. Several factors were taken into consideration for us to make this decision:
- Leslie Taylor was cancelled last night, after the competition had actually started. This was challenging for our 13-15 and Junior teams, as they had already travelled to Toronto. We are sorry for the inconvenience that caused – OAS did not make the decision until 7pm last night.
- Beal Pool has closed down for the next 3 weeks
- Pyramid Center in St Marys has closed down for the next 3 weeks.
- We have not heard from the City of London about their pools, but know that this could happen as well
- Canadian Artistic Swimming has cancelled the National Qualifier Competition
- Hilton Competition is no longer a qualifier for the Age Group Competition in May and has become an Invitational (meaning it is not mandatory to attend – we are still planning to if it goes ahead)
- Other Ontario Clubs have started to suspend practices as well
- Many LSC parents have already expressed their concern about sending their swimmers to practice and are choosing to keep them home already, limiting effectiveness of practices
Those are the factors related to the Sport itself. But even more important is that we want to ensure the safety of all who are involved with our club. We don’t want anyone who is at risk of transmitting illness to be attending practice, This is challenging to ensure, and so we feel it is prudent to follow suit with the many Businesses , School Boards and Public Services that are limiting exposure and staying home.
We hope that everyone understands this decision. I fully expect that we will get back to business as usual in a few weeks! And after this break the athlete’s should be super energetic and motivated!! In addition, we are asking our coaches to contact their teams and give some “homework” to keep everyone in shape and ready for competition. We hope you can all encourage them to practice!
If you have any questions, then please feel free to contact Tara Walker at infolondonsynchro.com, or Vanessa Smith, Head Coach at email@example.com or Olivia Amaral, Novice Head Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact your individual coaches if you have questions regarding the team specifically.
Thank you for your continued support of the London Synchro Club. See you all soon. Stay Healthy.